Thursday, December 27, 2012

Don't Doubt Your Effect on Someone Else

After some recent criticism of my blog and it's lack of comments, I was starting to doubt my choice to be candid about my struggles, transparent with my faults and my fight for a better Brooke to be so open.  I started to wonder if a few people's opinion of me was a reflection of the masses, as I often do.  Then... I got these: 

"Brooke, I love your blog so much...thanks for sharing all this stuff...you really make me want to be a better person! You are so motivating, inspiring, and funny! I just find you so fascinating...in a totally non-creepy way." 

"I honestly find this SO therapeutic!! I find it amazingly brave that you put yourself out there like that. It's like a living breathing journal that you are willing to share with others and I think that is awesome. I enjoy reading it so much...it honestly makes me feel good!! I find it so honest and refreshing that you can openly admit that sometimes you have struggles and talk them out and I really believe that you help others by doing that!!"

I have had more then one comment that it's difficult for you guys to comment for some reason, which is why I usually get comments on FB rather then here.  Who knows... the funny thing is my technologically stunted mother has somehow figured it out.  :P 

NBD (That's "no big deal," I know that one confuses you at times mother) ;) though...comments are not why I do this.  I do this 100% for me to process through my own stuff, and share it because I know it has helped me in the past know that I am not alone in this silly thing called life, so if I can help someone else feel like "Well shit...look at here!  Brooke's a little wacky sometimes too...I am not alone," then that makes me happy.  :)  I have also gotten great feedback from others at times and good insight to see myself differently or look at situations through another's point of view.  I also believe that some of my relationships are changing for the better due to my openness in my writing.  Out of fear in the past I have been one big gigantic great wall of China when it comes to letting others in emotionally... however I don't struggle with my words when I'm writing for some reason, so it has helped some people see that I'm not a cold hearted bitch, and actually a really broken girl in need of softness.  I am getting that from places that I haven't always gotten it, and I think it has to do with a better understanding of where I am at. 

Moral of the story... don't doubt the effect your words may have on another.  Especially positive ones.  I have no doubt as I draw closer to God with my feelings and in prayer lately that he used these people to speak to me...saying "You are good baby girl, you are good."  Because of this, and because it has always been rather important to me... I am going to try harder to tell people when their actions have impacted me positively.  I think we all think nice things about the people around us 200 times a day, but say nothing because we don't want to seem like a creeper, or we think they know.  I can promise you this, THEY DO NOT KNOW.  Tell them...a simple word of encouragement or a "I really liked when you ______," can go miles in a doubtful heart. 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome (just wanted to see if I could figure out how to comment lol)

    ReplyDelete