belles-let·tres (b
l-l
t
r
) pl.n. (used with a sing. verb)
1. Literature regarded for its aesthetic value rather than its didactic or informative content.
2. Light, stylish writings, usually on literary or intellectual subjects.
Belles-lettres or belles lettres is a term that is used to describe a category of writing. A writer of belles-lettres is a belletrist. However, the boundaries of that category vary in different usages.
Literally, belles-lettres is a French phrase meaning "beautiful" or "fine" writing. In this sense, therefore, it includes all literary works — especially fiction, poetry, drama, or essays — valued for their aesthetic qualities and originality of style and tone (usually with regard to the language used, but sometimes even in terms of the visual typography employed), rather than for written as a means to informative, moral or some other end. The term thus can be used to refer to literature generally.
"So does that mean that you think that you have 'beautiful' writing Brooke?" Are you kidding me? NO! I am not a writer, I am not artistic, and I definitely do not fall into the "fine" category. Again... it was just a pretty sounding B word, it works with my craziness. That is all.
Literally, belles-lettres is a French phrase meaning "beautiful" or "fine" writing. In this sense, therefore, it includes all literary works — especially fiction, poetry, drama, or essays — valued for their aesthetic qualities and originality of style and tone (usually with regard to the language used, but sometimes even in terms of the visual typography employed), rather than for written as a means to informative, moral or some other end. The term thus can be used to refer to literature generally.
"So does that mean that you think that you have 'beautiful' writing Brooke?" Are you kidding me? NO! I am not a writer, I am not artistic, and I definitely do not fall into the "fine" category. Again... it was just a pretty sounding B word, it works with my craziness. That is all.
I love it! I would have done the exact same thing!
ReplyDelete