This guy who lays sleeping very deeply next to me this early morning is incredible. No you guys, like seriously. Way more than you even kinda know, and way more than he or I let on. Through my pregnancy, he was good. Supportive, kind, patient...wow is he patient, and loving. So, yes I only expected the same out of him after giving birth. I shouldn't have however, because that'd be selling him short.
Since giving birth, this guy has taken his normally fantastic self, and somehow found it within himself to bring it to the next level. It started in the delivery room. Wow...what a man. This guy was at my side at all times. Through a 36 hour labor, with minimal sleep, this guy was with me during the day, helping encourage me through contractions, and then softly rubbed my face and played with my hair at night to ease my sky rocketing anxiety and allow me to sleep. He allowed me to call the shots of my birth, while supporting decisions we made together. He stepped up when nursing staff was lacking, took care of monitors, became a pro at reprogramming all the fancy machines, and took charge during my unusually quick, understaffed delivery when asked to "Take a leg!" He told me how great I was doing, how beautiful I was, and how although he's the one who fights bad guys for a living, I am by far the stronger of us two.
As if being the rock star of birthing/delivery wasn't enough, this guy has been just stupid ridiculously awesome since we've been home. For our daughter, I have somewhat unconventional values/desires to do things not always seen as the norm or what he calls "crunchy hippie parenting." Despite giving me a hard time, he's been 300% on board, not only implementing cloth diapers, exclusive breast feeding, baby wearing, ect., he's advocated for me and our choices. He has zero shame in my desire to feed our daughter naturally and continually tells me how beautiful we are.
I have had a particularly awful recovery period from birth and this guy has been my personal home health nurse. He keeps track of my medications schedule and brings me my alternating medications/vitamins on time, with a fresh glass of water and ice like clock work. He keeps track of how much water I am drinking and reminds me to stay on track. He makes sure I am using the restroom regularly to avoid complications (you lose your ability to tell when your bladder is full initially after birth) and demands I go relax in the tub every night! He makes sure I am not carrying too much, or pushing my body too far and requires me to put my feet up and rest.
As if the above mentioned things weren't enough, this guy is an A+ dad, with very little previous knowledge or experience. I'm not gonna lie, he blatantly loves Addy so very very much, I'm a little jealous. Although it's only been 8 days, he is consistently eager to do absolutely everything to care for her. He has changed 99.9% of her diapers (ok, I've done 2), he gets her ready every morning, and lovingly puts her PJ's on at night. He has given her her only bath, complete with her baby essential oils and baby massage. He is a pro at all the baby things and mom knows how nothing works. If you need to know something about the car seat, stroller, pack and play, and even my breast pump, ask him. I have no clue as he does it all. He gets A ready to leave the house every day, packing her, a diaper bag, moms meds and even breakfast for us on the go. When we're out he carriers her, calms her screams, and hands her to mom to show off. He takes care of her daily doctor appointments, the medical supply people and insurance issues. He reminds me when it's time to feed, gets her ready, keeps her awake during the feeding, and then burps her afterwards. He takes her away from mom when her screams get to be too much and calms her little heart. His favorite thing though is his "Addy hugs," and pointing out all her "toots!"
9 months ago he started down this journey of being daddy of the century when he took 5 weeks off to spend with his girls after his little lady was born, and he hasn't lost momentum for a day yet. I absolutely cannot imagine embarking on this journey of becoming first time parents without him, or with anyone else. For being the one with tons of baby experience, he's the one teaching me! I'm at times...ok usually a strong, challenging personality, and he not only tolerates me, but finds me endearing, beautiful and valued and tells me so continuously. I couldn't me more grateful for this man of integrity, faith and courage that God has given me, and am honored to become parents with him as he's truly doing it right.
PS - forgive my typos and grammar, I have a fussy baby to feed with no time for editing.
No comments:
Post a Comment